Thursday, February 25, 2010

Using Technological Tools in Education

I believe there is a place for all educational learning tools. In the early years, children learn foundational knowledge such as their multiplication tables, spelling, the alphabet, etc. Certainly there is a place here for drilling tools, whether the old-fashioned “repeat-after-me” type or the drilling software on the computer, or an interactive method that somehow combines physical activity with the repetition. As students develop in their cognitive abilities, I believe there is more of a place for inquiry-based learning, where students are given a problem and must figure it out, largely left to their own talents, skills, and resources, but strongly facilitated by an expert teacher. I think that there are certain subjects that lend themselves to more structured forms of teaching (teacher-directed) rather than hands-on learning (student-centered). I also believe that, to a certain degree, all learning is constructivist because people learn by making connections, thereby “constructing” their own learning. That is the very reason why having a strong foundation in the basics is so important. It’s like having the electrical sockets necessary to plug new learning into to make it work, or make the lights come on.

Engagement of the students in the learning process is critical. A good lecturer can actually do this through skilled questioning, enthusiasm about his/her subject, and the ability to show relevance on many fronts. Because of the increasingly short attention-span of many students today, hands-on learning has become popular: engaging the student in a physical activity of some sort. I think this is a good method, but, like all methods should not be used blindly as a panacea. After reading Oppenheimer, I am increasingly aware of the seductive nature of new technological tools and will watch to ensure I am not blinded by the glitz of those tools, but am always assessing them based on criteria we discussed in class for “appropriateness.” As a librarian, however, the bulk of my teaching will be teaching students and faculty how to use online databases, catalogs, the latest and greatest tools for citations, and maybe Web 2.0 tools, so I may be working with students, faculty, and administrators who have been “seduced” by technology. I will have to remain all the more balanced if this is the case. That means I cannot react in the opposite direction (taking a bad attitude about technological tools) but look at technological tools as one of many educational tools available.

As a college English teacher, I tend to keep my lessons low-tech. I use the computer, document camera, and Blackboard. If my students have computers on which to work in class, I integrate a bit more technology, but still keep it secondary to substantive reading, discussions, and some lecture. Typically English textbooks come with an online component on which students can drill on various elements of grammar. I encourage them to use this tool, but I do not spend class time on it. However, I haven’t ruled that out as a possibility if I see fit do so at some future date. I never rule out any tool that might be helpful. I use my intuition to help me navigate through the needs and dynamics of each individual class. I try to model open-mindedness about the Internet rather than a cut and dry judgmental attitude. For example, I would advise the class about evaluating all websites rather than taking the attitude of “Absolutely NO Wikipedia!” I tend to model my thinking out loud to students when I am analyzing an essay we have read. I am a big believer in small group discussions at the college level and then sharing as a large group, using strong facilitation skills to keep the lesson on track.

2 comments:

  1. I believe your open-mindedness and willingness to employ strategies based not on rigid personal opinions, but on the customized needs of your students is the right approach. Our classes will be made up of individuals who are varied and unique. We should also be flexible enough to recognize their needs and employ solutions that will work best for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Miles, but also might pose some questions: First, since imaginative play is a significant medium for students of all ages to learn, do you see any role for constructivist / student-directed learning for younger students? And if so, what, if any, role can or should technology have? Second, I have noticed that teachers are not always very good at selecting age- or reading level- appropriate Internet resources for their students. Have you thought about effective ways to narrow student Internet experience to appropriate materials (not content per se, but more like reading level). Maybe we should discuss this in class?

    jd

    ReplyDelete