Thursday, February 11, 2010

Kaiser Report - Part 2

I just realized I did not respond to the actual question for our assignment, so I will continue my thoughts on this posting.

I don't believe the Kaiser Foundation Study will impact educators. I think technology in the classroom is here to stay and the drive to incorporate it is too strong and intense to just go away because of the negative effects of heavy users.

I will be striving to use more technology in my teaching, but due to the fact that I am not using much now, that's a good thing. I will always consider the cost of using technology, as I discussed in class when talking about appropriate technology. How much additional time will it take, etc.

As a librarian, it will be my responsibility to teach students and faculty about the latest and greatest technology appropriate for education. As I saw in my student teaching, often teachers jump on the bandwagon of wanting to use technological tools and once they try it, they realize just how much more time training the students to be effective users of that tool takes. Then, they may change their minds again. I saw this happen with an instructor who wanted her Freshman students to use Noodlebib and even had the help of the librarians to train the students, but she was inundated with questions and regretted her choice.

As always, I think a balance is necessary.

2 comments:

  1. Your experience with trying to use new technologies in the classroom sounds too familiar. Teaching is an incredibly difficult art as it is. Introducing new tools just adds to the challenge. I would like for us as a class to look at strategies for easing that process.

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Shoshanna and have seen and witnessed for myself how teachers jump on the technology bandwagon without considering their students' technological learning curve. It is important for librarians to try and keep teachers focused on the concepts they want to teach, how they apply to the standards, and whether or not the technology being used is appropriate for their students.

    ReplyDelete