Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Reflection on Presentation

Overall, I was pleased with my Visual Literacy lesson plan presentation. I had no problems with the technology I employed. The students participated very well. I was able to briefly review the slides quickly and effectively in an adequate amount of time and retain the attention of the students. Many of the students picked up on the main points of the video as it related to visual literacy and our group discussion brought out all the points I wanted to impress upon them.

I had pondered the possibility of using an online worksheet in order to incorporate more technology into the lesson. I thought about that essential question we have established in class: "Will the use of said technology enhance the experience and warrant the extra time it will take to introduce said technological tool?" I answered in the negative. A simple handout sufficed for focusing a five minute discussion in small groups. It would have taken me at least five minutes, likely more, to ensure that everyone was logged in and had accessed an online worksheet. Not only that, an online worksheet would have distracted the students from jotting down their ideas about the video, which was the most important part of the engagement activity in the lesson. It was crucial that the students noted their insights quickly and engaged in discussion immediately not only in order to retain their insights, but because we had limited time. So, I am pleased with my decisions about what technology to include and not include.

I was quite familiar with the technology I did use, LCD, computer, PowerPoint, video and moved through its use without no problems. For my lesson, it was not necessary for me to train students to use the technology, but to enhance their awareness about visual literacy through the use of technology. If I had had more time, I might have implemented another aspect to the visual literacy lesson that incorporated the use of a technological tool to create a unique piece of work using their visual literacy skills. First, however, it is most important for the students to become aware of visual literacy and how to use it to filter the messages with which they are bombarded daily. Using a mixed media video for this purpose afforded me the opportunity to engage the students by using media they find most attractive. In this way, the use of technology greatly impacted and enhanced my lesson since the students find that type of communication very relevant to their lives. At the same time, the skills they learned can be applied to communicative pieces they might encounter that are less exciting to them.

I believe I picked the appropriate mix of subject content, technology, and trendiness to make this a successful lesson.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. I thought your presentation was excellent with the technology supporting the presenentation rather than being the center point. Too many times, we focus first on the technology, but your lesson came first and then the technology supported the lesson. Well done and quite refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Susan. Your presentation was one of the best. I actually learned something, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your lesson was a great example of using various types of technology. You prepared interesting Power Point presentation, students watched the video. You also used other methods of instruction like lecture and discussion and you prepared worksheets for students. Great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your comment about making sure the technology is appropriate to the task. I agree that you made the right call in using the paper worksheet to avoid distracting the students from the main point. Nice job!

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your lesson was very well thought out and organized. The video shown in the lesson was very creative. I agree that a discussion must be made right after the lesson or else students do not remember what the video was about. Overall, I think you integrated technology appropriately and I think we all learned something from your lesson!

    ReplyDelete